veduta del castelloThis eclectic edifice was built between 1856 and 1860 according to the wishes of Archduke Maximilian of Habsburg (later to become Emperor of Mexico), and planned by Carl Junker. The interior furniture and decorations are genuine period pieces. The extensive park (22 hectares) is located on the seashore and was designed by the Archduke. The cliff it was built on, which had no vegetation whatsoever at the time, was cultivated with numerous tropical species of trees and plants.

AVisitors to the castle will be able to see the following: Maximilian's chambers and those of his consort, Carlota of Belgium; the guest rooms; the information room telling the history of the Castle and the Park's construction; the Duke Amadeo of Aosta's apartment with furnishings from the 1930's in the Rationalist style. All the rooms still feature the original furnishings, ornaments, furniture and objects dating back to the middle of the 19th century. Particularly noteworthy are the music room where Carlota used to play the fortepiano, now on show in room VII. In room XIX there are a series of paintings by Cesare dell'Acqua depicting the history of Miramare. Lastly, visitors may visit the throne room, which was recently restored and brought back to its former splendour.

parterreThe park offers the public a chance for an interesting stroll among botanical species and an important collection of sculptures dotted along its numerous paths. A visit should also be paid to the Stables, a building which was recently restored and is now used for temporary exhibitions; the Old Greenhouses and the Little Castle, with its original decoration on the first floor, are also well worth a visit.

View maps of the Castle: piano terra and primo piano

Download and print .pdf.

   The Castle.pdf    The Stables.pdf
   The Castelletto.pdf    Miramare after 1867.pdf
   The Park.pdf  

^Top